FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When can I book?
All retreats open for registration 9 months prior to the start of the retreat. A newsletter will be sent before the opening of bookings. Please subscribe to our news letter for updates.
What are the terms and conditions?
Payment must be made in full at the time of registration.
If you are concerned about having to cancel your attendance, then we strongly encourage protecting your investment by purchasing trip cancellation insurance coverage that includes “cancel for any reason”.
Cancellation Terms For Retreats:
- If we cancel the retreat, we will offer options of what is available (refund or transfer).
- If the whole retreat switches to an online retreat due to travel limitations, we will move your registration to this option or give you a refund.
- In the event that you need to cancel, all cancellation requests must be emailed to email@example.com.
Because we have committed funds to the retreat center:
- If you cancel 3 months before the start of the retreat, we will refund 75%, cancellation fee of 25%.
- If you cancel within the 3 months before the start of the retreat and IF we are able to fill your space, we will refund 75%, and apply a cancellation fee of 25%. (If we are not able to fill your space, then no refund will be available.)
- If you are able to purchase trip cancellation coverage, please check your policy that our non-refundable charges are covered.
No transfers between retreats, trainings, and/or workshops except as outlined above.
No transfers of registrations between attendees.
No refunds will be made for failure to attend or failure to complete the retreat.
All refunds will be processed within 2 weeks following a program.
Limitation of Liability:
- Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute cannot be responsible or liable for any injury, loss or damage of property, or disruption of any program due to circumstances beyond their control.
- I am participating in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops offered by Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute during which I will receive information and instruction about yoga and health. I recognize that yoga requires physical exertion that may be strenuous and may cause physical injury, and I am fully aware of the risks and hazards involved.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in the Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops. I represent and warrant that I am physically fit and I have no medical condition that would prevent my full participation in the Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops.
- In consideration of being permitted to participate in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops, I agree to assume full responsibility for any risks, injuries or damages, known or unknown, which I might incur as a result of participating in the program.
- In further consideration of being permitted to participate in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops, I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any claim I may have against Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute for injury or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in the program.
- I, my heirs or legal representatives forever release waive, discharge any covenant not to sue Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute for any injury or death caused by their negligence or other acts.
- I agree to hold Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute harmless for any injury caused to me during the practice indicated above.
Release: I am aware that I may be included in photographs taken at any Sarah Powers or Insight Yoga Institute event that may be used on Sarah and Ty’s website and associated social media websites.
Who can get a discount and how?
Given the unequal/discriminatory mindsets across racial and economic global realities and perspectives, we would like to create more inclusivity in whatever way we can. We came up with an offering of discounts for those most directly affected by this. The following scholarships are for anyone:facing financial hardship; who identifies as Black or having African ancestry.
A limited amount of scholarships are available for each retreat. If you have already benefited from one, please do let us know you would like to attend again, knowing we will prioritize first time attendees in need.
Is there an airport shuttle?
Please read the description of each retreat which explains practical information.
I have never been on a silent retreat. Can I join this one?
Yes, as long as you are accustomed to practicing both yin and flow yoga and mindfulness meditation, you are welcome to join us. We will be there to support you with anything that arises during your time with us. We do not however on these retreats teach how to practice yoga and the basics of a meditation practice so please come with a practical understanding of both.
Can I use my computer and phone while on a silent retreat?
We ask that everyone drop offline for the duration of the retreat as this will deepen the experience for everyone and allows particpants to engage in the moment to moment experience in a more direct and clear way.
What if I have a small child or ailing parent that I need to be in communication with each day? Can I still come on this retreat?
Yes. We are happy to support anyone needing to be in touch with loved ones when necessary and simply ask that you make a specific time each day and place yourself away from visual and auditory spaces of other participants when you make the call.
When does silence begin and end on retreats? Will I be able to arrange my travel before I go into not speaking?
Silence will begin the first morning you awake on retreat, so yes, you can make any arrangements you need to before arriving or on arrival day. We also have a sign up sheet the day before the retreat ends for rides back to the airport. We end silence the evening before everyone leaves so there is time for gentle communication among everyone.
I would like to attend a silent retreat, but am unsure if I can lead myself day after day. Are the teachers also silent in this retreat?
No, the teachers will offer teachings everyday, and there is a set schedule (which is optional) so you will not have to lead yourself except in the free time hours, in which we encourage walking in nature, soaking in water, sitting to enjoy the views, or resting in your room. The practice space is also available for increased practice time for those who would like to be self-led more often. Sarah and Ty also schedule a one and one session with each student during the retreat to offer support and deepening of whatever is coming up for each person.
I am committed to a number of practices that I will need time to engage in. Will your retreat allow time for this?
Yes, we offer self practice times in the early morning, as well as suggesting the schedule is all optional, encouraging people to follow the rhythm that feels most integral for them. Our main rule is that everyone remain silent during the retreat, and not practice yoga asana during the meditation sessions, except in another location.
Am I eligible for this program?
This program is designed to empower each participant in cultivating a daily home practice that nourishes the body, heart, and mind through a blend of yogic, Buddhist, and psychological teachings and practices. The coursework is open to all and it is not mandatory to be on the path of certification to attend these teachings.
If you are now (or plan to be) a yoga teacher we suggest you attend a general 200 hour program prior to (or during) your years with us as we do not focus on teaching yoga in general. This program will prepare you to both practice and teach Yin yoga, Mindfulness and Compassion meditations with a Buddhist view, psychological inquiry and forms of self-therapy, and a slow mindful flow to individuals or in workshops, intensives and retreat settings.
If you are interested in joining, kindly complete the application form and feel free to share any concerns you may have. We will be in touch with you shortly.
What certification or qualification I will get after I complete the program? Is this Yoga Alliance certified?
Once you have successfully completed the coursework and submitted your video, you will be eligible to receive a 500-hour Yoga Alliance Certification. Additionally, certain participants will be granted a certification of endorsement to join the Insight Yoga Teacher Sangha (IYTS) and will be authorized to teach Insight Yoga.
And yes, it is Yoga Alliance certified.
How much does this program cost?
Each of our courses are priced separately. For example, the Foundation level Yin/Insight Yoga teacher training course is 8 days and is usually listed at around US$1600, depending on the venue. And, as we value and acknowledge hours/credits obtained from various organizations and individuals for some of the courses required, the cost of this program may vary accordingly.
If you have any specific inquiries regarding the program cost or any other aspects of the courses, please feel free to reach out. We are here to assist you in any way we can.
Will I be able to teach Insight Yoga or title my class Insight Yoga after this program?
Students who successfully graduate and receive a certificate of endorsement will gain authorization to use the title and promote their classes as Insight Yoga. They will also have the opportunity to become mentors for individuals embarking on their journey into the program.
To find out more about certification of endorsement, please check the certificate and endorsement section at the bottom of the IYI page.
I have signed up before but I am only part way through the program, can I switch to the new requirements now? Or I should stay with the previous one?
For those who have already been accepted into IYI, you will receive communication from us if we have your current contact information. You will have the option to either switch to the new requirements or continue with the previous ones. Rest assured, your previous coursework will be recognized and honored as long as you are willing to complete the remaining coursework.
If you have not received an email from us or believe that these changes may impact your completion, please feel free to get in touch with JC at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Sarah at email@example.com to discuss.
How does the 4 years count? Can I take more than 4 years to finish the program?
The four-year period begins from the month you commence any of the required courses and concludes in the same month four years later. For example, if you begin the one-on-one mentoring in September 2023, you should aim to complete the program by September 30, 2027.
While we encourage participants to complete the program within a four-year time frame, we understand that life events may occur simultaneously. If you require additional time to fulfil the requirements, that is fine. Please contact us in advance to discuss this so we can help you make the necessary adjustments.
If I began years ago and want to join back in now, can I still have 4 more years to complete all the courses?
Yes. We would love to see you again and anything you already completed with us can count toward your graduation within the next 4 year timespan.
Once I have completed all the coursework, what should I do?
The graduation process involves submitting all the required coursework, creating a teaching video, and having a 1-on-1 session with Sarah.
Once you have completed all the required courses and are ready to proceed with graduation, please contact JC at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide you with a step-by-step graduation guideline.
If you have any further questions or need any assistance, please feel free to ask. We are here to support you throughout the completion process.
I am not an IYI student, can I still join an Insight Yoga Online Class?
Certainly! Insight Yoga Online Class welcomes everyone, whether you are an IYI student or not. It is open to anyone who wishes to practice, stay connected, and find inspiration through Insight Yoga methods. Feel free to drop in, sign up, and join the class by following this link:
Who can I contact in case I have challenges or questions during the course?
Each student is assigned an endorsed IYI teacher as a mentor who is psychologically trained to assist you in any way you prefer: i.e. to clarify, inspire, and/or help you work with difficulties in your practice or your life during this program.
For any administrative inquiries or support, please don’t hesitate to contact our IYI manager JC, at email@example.com. She will be more than happy to assist you.
If you have any further questions or need additional information, feel free to reach out. We are here to ensure you have a rewarding and fulfilling experience during this program.